CareerBuilder has surveyed 2,595 hiring and HR professionals to find out what the oddest job interview mistakes candidates have ever done were.
The recruiters responded with a selection of what may be the strangest candidate behaviours ever.
The mistakes ranged from recruiters having their palms read by a self-professed psychic to a candidate blatantly stealing a photo from the interviewer’s desk.
These behaviours didn’t bode well for the candidates as the survey also revealed that 50% of hiring professionals know within the first five minutes of an interview if a candidate is a good fit for a position. See the full list below;
The ten strangest things people have done in job interviews
- A candidate took a family photo off of the interviewer's desk and put it into her purse.
- A candidate started screaming that the interview was taking too long.
- A candidate said her main job was being a psychic and tried to read the interviewer's palm, despite the interviewer attempting to decline the offer.
- When asked what his or her ideal job was, the candidate replied that he or she wanted to become a "painter of birdhouses." The company was hiring for a data entry clerk.
- A candidate sang her responses to questions.
- A candidate put lotion on his/her feet during the interview.
- When asked why he wanted the position, candidate replied, "My wife wants me to get a job."
- A candidate started feeling interviewer's chest to find a heartbeat so they could "connect heart to heart."
- A candidate came to the job interview, having a pet bird in his or her shirt.
- A candidate conducted a phone interview in the bathroom – and flushed
In related news, Barclays Lifeskills released a study in December. It revealed what the ten most common job interview mistakes for candidates were, according to recruiters.